Now that the Supreme Court has overturned Roe v. Wade, it is essential to get the 425,059 required signatures for this petition to prevent Michigan from becoming a state where abortion is a felony. There is a risk of this not going on the ballot in November if the required number of signatures isn’t reached.
We are a non-partisan group of concerned citizens who believe that equality and fairness are essential to democracy.
To that end, we endorse organizations that work towards these goals and share ways to support their efforts. We also publish informative articles from trustworthy news sources and information on related events and actions we can take as individuals.
Protect the Earth with your vote
After Texas Republicans imposed a draconian abortion ban, these corporations sent checks. And a few still oppose the ban.
- CVS Health donated $72,500 to the sponsors of Texas’ abortion bill since 2018.
- AT&T donated $80,000 to key proponents of Texas’ abortion ban. While on August 26 celebrating “Women’s Equality Day,” saying it was “a day to reflect on the many challenges women in our society still face to achieve equity.” The company said that it believed “empowered women are key to the success of their communities.”
- AT&T donated $50,000 directly from its corporate treasury to the Texas Senate Republican Caucus. They are the single largest donor. On December 14, 2021, AT&T’s PAC donated $30,000 to House Speaker Dade Phelan (R), who marshaled Texas’ abortion ban through the House.
- PepsiCo donated $15,000 to the Texas GOP. The company publicly touts its commitment to “empowering women in the workplace, marketplace and community.”
- Walmart donated $10,000 to Texas Republicans responsible for abortion ban. While on Twitter, the company declared that “[e]mpowering women creates shared value: it’s good for society, and it’s good for business.”
- The latest filings with the Texas Ethics Commission also revealed several other major corporate donations to Texas Republicans after the abortion ban was enacted in May 2021.
- Ford donated $5,000 to Phelan on December 5, 2021.
- Zillow donated $5,000 to the Texas Senate Republican Caucus on December 28, 2021.
- Allstate donated $3,000 to Phelan on October 20, 2021.
- Exelon donated $10,000 to Phelan on October 27, 2021, and $10,000 to the Texas House Republican Caucus on November 30, 2021
- Koch Industries donated $10,000 to Phelan on December 5, 2021, and $5,000 to Patrick on December 9, 2021.
- USAA donated $20,000 to Patrick on October 10, 2021, and $2,500 to the Texas House Republican Caucus on December 31, 2021.
- United HealthCare donated $5,000 to the Texas House Republican Caucus on November 30, 2021.
- UPS donated $7,500 to the Texas House Republican Caucus on December 31, 2021.