Voters Not Politicians (VNP) and the League of Women Voters lawsuit have begun the fight against gerrymandering in Michigan. Now, a new initiative called Promote the Vote (PtV) takes another step forward and deals with the issues of voter suppression–I.D. laws, absentee ballots, military voting, and others. PtV is not affiliated with VNP and is attempting to have an entirely different ballot initiative approved.
Our laws cannot be reflective of our state if the people who are supposed to be represented aren’t part of the process. In Michigan, outdated voting laws and systems are diminishing access to the polls. Promote the Vote has submitted language to place a voting rights initiative on the November 2018 ballot. The initiative includes:
- Protect the right to vote a secret ballot
- Ensure military service members overseas get their ballots in time for their votes to count
- Provide all registered voters equal access to an absentee ballot
- Allow citizens to register to vote closer to Election Day, as the majority of states do
- Provide voters with the option to vote straight party
- Automatically register citizens to vote at the Secretary of State’s office unless the citizen declines
- Create fair rules that remove barriers and make voting more secure so “we the people” are heard on Election Day
To learn more about the Promote the Vote initiative, click here. Sign up here for Promote the Vote emails. This all starts with us. Register for the Promote the Vote webinar here.
Our collective power in action is an essential tool to shaping our representation, our laws, and our democracy. Together we’ll make sure that every voice counts. Webinar is online, beginning at 7 p.m.