FB Posts


The federal government, citing a recent court order, said Saturday that it will resume renewing grants of deferred action under the DACA, or “dreamers,” program, which has protected hundreds of thousands of young people from deportation.

The Trump administration announced in September that it would stop renewing work permits for the young undocumented immigrants starting in March, insisting that it was for Congress to find a solution to the issue of their status.

President Obama created the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program in 2012 to protect those without documentation who were brought here as children. The Trump administration had called it an egregious example of executive overreach.

But last week, a federal judge in San Francisco said the nearly 690,000 DACA recipients must retain their work permits and their protection from deportation while a lawsuit moves forward. That suit challenges the decision to end the program.

The White House and Congress have been engaged in intense and volatile negotiations over legislation that would allow DACA recipients to stay in this country permanently, with immigration hardliners pushing for any deal to include reductions in other types of immigration and immigrant advocates calling such a crackdown unacceptable.

U.S. government, citing ruling, again will accept requests for DACA protection

Federal judge had stayed effort to rescind permits for the program.


Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.