Due to the racial discrimination and oppression that still exist here the latest data from the Annie E. Casey Foundation reports the state at 50%. Geographic location and race and ethnicity are the two most important factors that shape a child’s risk.
What can white people do?
- Listen to people of color and respect their leadership.
- Be honest about our history and take ownership for the decisions of policymakers that disproportionately benefit us.
- Lift up positive narratives of kids of color and challenge stereotypes.
- Commit to being an anti-racist leader and work to further equity in our workplaces, schools and communities.
- Get involved in advancing policies like ending housing discrimination , advancing affordable housing and expanding wealth building opportunities for people of color.
Learn more here. –Michigan Advance